Today I visited my dear friend who gave birth to a baby boy five weeks ago. It had been so long (Yes it felt like eons ago!) since I'd held such a tiny bub. It sure brought back some good and tough memories (sleep, oh what is sleep?)
Just now she sent me an email asking me about when I gave Edie a soother, so I went into my email and tried to dig up an answer. I couldn't find a solid start time but I did recover this little nugget when Edie was just over a month old. I'd totally forgotten about that time already but reading that email brings everything back.
When a newborn isn't yours they look just about perfect. When it's your own you just want them to sleep and give the pooping a break if for a few hours!
Email History
Date: Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:33 AM
From: Me
To: Kel
Subject: Night Report
Yes the beginning is what you already know, but I wanted to be detailed for when I look back ;)
Love u!
============================================
Attempted night routine: nurse, wash face, read, swaddle, binky, basket, mommy singing and stroking Edie's forehead
FAIL!!
I sat next to the crib basically trying to hold up the blinky. She wanted to suck but kept spitting it out. She was getting sleepier but more cranky. After an hour I picked her up and rocked her to sleep.
Woke up at midnight and I did wait a few minutes to see if she was hungry, or if there was some other need. Nursed her and she ate ok, not super hungry but had a poop. Diaper change woke her. Offered second boob (yes I was trying to bribe sleep!) and she sucked for like 30sec, then pursed her little lips shut and stared at me eyes wide open. Tried again and she sucked for maybe 2 min then got sleepy. Burped her, she was asleep so I put her down. Ding! She stared at me as soon as her head hit the bed. I ignored her eye contact and continued to fix her blankets. Walked away and hoped that this wouldn't be another hour of my life spent binky popping. 5mim later I still saw little hands moving but no complaining. 2min no change. I went to shower, worried that kelvin would be left with a crying sleep monster. I kept repeating "oh no she's crying, I can't hear it" and "c'mon! Give her some credit she can do it".
Post shower, I hear the sweet noise of kelvin snoring and slight baby fussing.
I know she was sleepy but hey I still count this as soothing herself to sleep. 1hr and counting of continuous sleep. Way to go Edith bear!
I recorded the snoring hehe.
hehe... i like! can totally relate to ur email... :D
ReplyDelete