Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Song Bird

Two weeks ago, Edith started talking to herself in the crib. She only did that for two days and then it was back to her regular cooing. When she's in talk mode, day sleep is horribly interrupted. Normally, she's pretty good about putting herself to sleep when it's nap time, but on such days she'd just talk herself out until she was super tired and then mad cranky.

Yesterday Edie found her voice again.

Before Kelvin left for work today, I was starting to feel stressed. I was so tired from trying to get Edie to nap all of yesterday. Kelvin said he'd pray for us. So Kelvin, half asleep, and me, fully anxious, prayed for the day.

I guess if I have great faith, I wouldn't be surprised by what happened, but well, I don't and I am.

I put the little song bird in her crib and sure enough she kept talking and talking, maybe a good 20 minutes and it didn't sound like she was slowing down. But then, silence. I tip-toed to her room and suddenly she just stopped and started sucking her fingers. She fell asleep shortly after that. For her second nap I didn't even see her yawn (sometimes she doesn't yawn even though she's tired), but after a walk around the block, I popped her into the crib, expecting a bout of protest or singing, but instead, she started sucking her fingers right away and slept. Her naps were short and she was cranky throughout the day, but compared to yesterday, today was a breeze. I don't think it's how well/poorly she slept today, but I felt God was telling me not to try so hard to control everything, especially not a growing little person.

I kept thinking about verse 1 of Jesus Paid It All:

I hear the saviour say
Thy strength indeed is small
Child of God, watch and pray
Find in me, thine all in all


Edie gives these long speeches only when she's alone in the crib, but Kelvin caught a little clip just before nap time. Make sure you listen to the last 15 seconds. Can you hear what she's doing?



1 comment:

  1. lol i love how she sounds so feminine even in her baby talk!

    ReplyDelete