Friday, July 23, 2010

Hong Kong: Day 3

I lived in HK until I was about 10yrs. My world then was made up of my parents, my sister, my school friends and the occasional conflict between these elements. Life was simple and I had no need to distinguish Hong Kong as rich, poor, modern, or any other labels. It was simply home.

My last visit was about 8 years ago. On that trip, the Hong Kong I experienced was a fast-paced metropolis. I was impressed with the advanced transportation system and of course the newest electronic gadgets. The trip was only a week long and I stayed with the same relatives. Naturally I experienced HK life as my relatives did. I lived in an expensive residential area close to the business district, with easy access to luxury goods stores and posh restaurants.

This time around something new struck me. My idea of this wealthy and prosperous city was slowly breaking down, as we wandered into some new (to me) neighbourhoods. Although this was the place where I was born, I felt like I was discovering a city for the first time.


Sham Shui Po (深水埗). I'll talk more about these buildings in future posts.






鴨寮街, I love this street. It's all electronics, parts, randomness.






This street is dedicated to wholesalers of toys, stationery, accessories, basically the cute and useless stuff they sell at Asian stores, at 1/10 of the price. I was very intrigued (c'mon an entire street of funny trinkets!) but no I didn't spend a dime here. There was a store filled with fake guns and war memorabilia. It scared me.


LOL!


Kelvin's uncle W on the left. He seemed to know a lot of people in this neighbourhood, such as this shop owner.


We ate lunch about 2hrs ago. In HK you never really stop eating. Here we are in a typical "tea restaurant".


Kelvin's auntie E and family. If you see something craft-looking in this picture, she made it. Some people are interested in crafts but auntie E is truly gifted. From delicate rice-sized clay models to shadowboxes made out of hundreds of paper layers, her house is filled with truly unique handiwork. On top of her creations, she uses her gift to teach and connect with the community. A lady who is inspired and inspiring.


We had dinner that night with my mom's side of the family to celebrate aunt S' birthday. I don't know how but she looks younger and younger every time I see her. Uncle W looks just like my mom. Haha!




The black stick figures represent our aunts and uncles that were in Hong Kong during our visit. Add our cousins, their spouses, the kids, and this picture suddenly multiplies like wild fire. In the next few posts, you'll meet some colourful lovelies, known to us as family.

No comments:

Post a Comment