With no destination in mind on our first day, we were happy to just wander around. Funny enough, I saw some students with my old uniform on Nathan Road. We followed the uniforms and eventually arrived at my grade school. Then we accidentally walked up the stairs that led to the area where Kelvin used to live, and then somehow that road brought us to my old apartment. We were amazed that our worlds were actually so close. I couldn't help but think of my parents. I missed them and my sister lots that day.

The view from our HK headquarters. Remote in HK standards.

A 5 minute walk from our building brings us to phase 3 of our complex, where there's a "mini" shopping mall. Inside you will find a dozen or so restaurants, a supermarket, convenience store, book store, stationary/gift store, clothes and shoes retailers, basically enough retail to meet one's basic needs.

The weather in Hong Kong is sub-tropical and much hotter compared to Canada, but there are so many shaded areas like this bridge here.

"Wai?! Eees TzanKnee Ah!" Fob face in full effect. I'm trying to arrange some quality time with my cousin here. 慧珍家姐, I miss you!

Breakfast was fast food. Here's more carby goodness. I LOVE RICE!

As instructed by my sister, here's photographic evidence of how insanely clean the subway is.

After what seemed like hours, we arrive at the hub of the city. Right: Starbucks at Langham Place Shopping Mall

One of Hong Kong's largest vertical malls, this one has 15 floors of retail. On top there's another 40+ levels of office space. Modern and grand.

The "patio" area of Starbucks. Take note of the pink-ish building on my left.

Here's the same pink building adjacent to Langham Place. Two different worlds facing each other.

I LOVED how my grade school had not changed a bit. It was a bit emotional walking into the little gym that used to seem so so big.


Shocked and happy to see the stores from my childhood. My parents would take us to that McDonald's after Sunday service, do some shopping at Crocodile or the Wing-On department store. I never guessed an intersection would bring back so many memories.

Kelvin: "C'mon honey, it's just a few steps."
Me: "uh...are you SUUURE?"
Just to clarify, it took half an hour to walk up those few steps.



My mom's old place. C A N N O T believe we're seeing all these by accident on our first day.

The more affluent condo complexes have their own minibuses.

This is where I used to live. It was fun recalling stories from the past, like how my mom and I would go to the nearby market and she would never agree to buy me blood-jello congee (?!) no matter how hard I begged and pleaded, or how my dad would take me to the secret cafeteria in the building across the street for breakfast. I have the best mom and dad and yes, I know I'm a pig.

Kelvin used to come here quite a bit for toys and McDonald's.


10PM on the subway. How's my party-smile looking?
No comments:
Post a Comment