I want to have outdoors time as part of our daily routine. Not just going out to shops and programs, but just taking a walk, breathing in fresh air. That was my goal this winter. To go out once a day, even if it takes 10min to get dressed for a 3min walk. It hasn't happened. Obviously I am in charge so the onus is on me, and once in awhile I revisit my goal. Yesterday Edie woke up early from a nap, so I thought it'd be perfect to try again. She had time to explore and ransack all the baskets in our rooms, have a hot drink, and read a few books. But no matter what strategies I used, she was unwilling to go out. I even offered to carry her on my back, but it was a no go. So there I was, fully ready in my winter gear, holding onto the backpack carrier, and crying a little just out of sheer physical and mental fatigue. I almost fell asleep in that position, if it wasn't for her bursts of whining/yelling. Edie usually gets some cheese and fruit as her snack, but the afternoon wore me out enough to break out chocolate cake and chips. So that was my low.
Then there was today. Edie, mesmerized by the flowers and the metal tray, sat contently in the glow of the afternoon light. I was a few feet away but it felt like a bubble separated us. Her focus was unbreakable. I was in awe of the light and how it showcased the beauty of a child at work. I don't know how she thought of this, but Edie told me she was "doing her homework". Don't have the words but I did catch some photos.



Note: Post originally written on Feb 19.
such great photos!
ReplyDeleteThank you! Our second best spot for catching the afternoon sun.
Delete