From my unbiased (hehe) point of view, she's cute as a button!
Size
Weight: 13 lbs (5th percentile)
Height: 26.5 inches (70 percentile)
Going down on the curve in terms of weight, going up in terms of height. Edie only fit into the 3-6 onesies for about two weeks before the diaper wedgies started, but the 9 month onesies are way too wide. She's on the highest setting of her car seat. She'll probably be 8 years old when she's my height.
Long and lean, and oh so happy!
Sleep
I'm afraid to say that sleep has been great in the past month, for fear that I will jinx it! (Update at posting: sleep has officially been jinxed!) A huge difference was how her naps consolidated, so instead of the 4+ naps we're down to 3 (sometimes 2) a day. In terms of night sleep, for awhile Edie was waking up only 3hrs after she'd go to bed, but then she'd do a long stretch after that, so she was still waking up twice to feed during a 12/13hr night. The time between the night feeds is different every single night, usually if I wait to feed her then sleep, she'd do her first feed super late, and if I sleep first she'd wake up earlier. Some days I do wish she was more textbook and did predictable hours.
She slept 11.5hr and 10hr straight two nights in a row, and still napped some long naps! I wonder if it's because we've started solids or that sleep really gets better after 6 months?
Edie sleeps about 4hrs during the day and 12hrs at night, so she's still sleeping lots.
Mommy, I promise to always be a good sleeper.
Schedule
In the past six months, Edie's stuck to the same schedule for three days and three days only. Just for fun I'm making a note. As much as it doesn't happen in this house, can you tell that I like predictability? huhuhu!
6am: wake up, nurse, diaper change, try to wake up a sleepy papa by eating his face, play with mom if her eyes can stay open, if not walk around the block
7am: nurse, nap #1 (2hrs)
9am: nurse, change, play, eat solids, go out (especially if it's a hot day)
11am: nurse, nap #2 (1.5hr)
12:30pm: nurse, change, play, eat solids
2:30pm: nurse, nap #3 (1hr)
3:30pm: nurse, change, play play play(!), eat solids
5:30pm: bedtime routine - read books, bath, nurse, song
6pm: asleep
3am: nurse
Milestones
Edie can sit without help for a few minutes. She usually falls over as she leans forward to eat her toes. It took about two weeks for her to get the hang of sitting. She can roll from back to front and vice versa but doesn't seem to like it. Actually she doesn't like tummy time at all.
Left to right: 1) Hanging out in the bumbo. 2) Toppling over at first, Edie sits on her own just long enough for me to grab the camera and press the shutter. 3) Looking good, stable girl!
One little tooth is VERY slowly creepy out from the bottom. When Edie sees a toy, she now lunges at it to chew it as quickly as possible. Sometimes the teethers seem to frustrate her even more. I find going outside and distracting Edie helps with her itchy gums.
After 2.5 months, Edie stopped sleeping in the car. Once during a 7hr drive, she slept a total of 1hr, bits of 10/15min naps throughout. This month we drove to visit family again. On the way there it was awful as usual. Screaming and crying from me and her. But on the way back, Edie took one 1.5hr nap and two short naps in a span of 5 hours. These days she does doze off in the car if she's tired, but she wakes up if we go into a restaurant. If we let her sleep in her room (no transfer!), she wakes up much sooner than if she's in the crib, and of course pretty grumpy. But it's a huge breakthrough that she'll sleep at all in the car.
My mom and sister did the bedtime routine one night and Edie still went to bed. We were worried that she wouldn't eat or sleep but she was fine. Minor crying and fussing, nothing that my sissy couldn't handle. Out of the three 2oz bottles that I pumped, Edie drank 1.5oz. Edie didn't even wake up to eat until 1am that night. Oh, and yes she drank from a bottle and a sippy cup! It only took a few days of practice but lots of milk down the sink. I think she enjoys the plastic rubbing against her gums.
2oz seems to be Edie's intake.
Edie loves hanging out with her auntie, silly dogsins and grandma.
Eating
I nurse Edie more than when she was a newborn! She's fed as she wakes up and before each nap. She eats the same amount even if I space out the feedings. Since Edie's pretty low on the weight front, I try to offer as much as possible. At this point, I feel that our nursing relationship is definitely more about nurture than nutrition. So interesting that Edie actually finds nursing a source of comfort now.
When we first started solids, Edie didn't really enjoy it. But she was really interested when my sister fed her some blueberries. Since then she's gotten really good at opening wide and swallowing. So far we've tried banana, pears, avocado, blueberries (without the skin) and peas. She loves peas and doesn't like pears. When we walk through the grocery store, she smacks her lips as if she knows that food is all around.
Eager for those blueberries.
My Favourites
1. Edie's nursing pose. She places one hand on my hand and her outside leg moves in circles like she's pedaling. Usually her eyes are closed, but if they're opened she pauses, looks at me, sucks, pauses, looks, as if she needs to make sure I am still the same mommy. She sticks her hand close to my mouth and smiles when I kiss her little fingers.
2. Edie's wake up dance. I LOVE going to pick her up when she wakes up happy (95%). She squints and grins when she recognizes me, then waves her arms up and down in excitement. She always stretches when I pull her arms out of the sleep sack.
3. Edie's smile. Although she's been smiling for a long time, in the past she reserved this heart melting trick just for daddy, or you'd have to really work at it with a big wide mouth to see that grin. These days when she hears a familiar song or sees one of her bedtime books, a spontaneous grin appears. She even returned a smile a couple of times when I smiled at her! It's an amazing feeling, knowing that there's a connection there between us.
4. Hanging out as a family. While Kel was on paternity leave, we never did anything out of the ordinary, but just being with my two favourite people in the world made me feel like I was on cloud nine. I will miss Kel's company so much!
Hanging on for dear life as she tries the swing for the first time. Couldn't have taken this photo if it was just me with her.
I love the light just before Edie goes to bed. Still bright but not crazy melt your face hot. We sit by the bench across the street and people/car watch.
6 Months Already?!
I wish I kept better notes of this month. This post took a million years to write. New things kept creeping out from my loosey goosey memory. That plus there's been a lot of crying and not much sleeping this week. Edie's got a bad case of eczema and she keeps getting stuck on her tummy when she sleeps. But month 6 was definitely a smooth one, the most exciting bit being that Edie can stay up for more than an hour.
Edith makes me smile with her sweet nature, keeps me laughing with her funny expressions, and will forever and always tug at my heart just by being her.
Oh, my heart! She sure is sweet. She's long and lean like her daddy, eh? But I can't tell who she looks like! I used to think she looks like you, but there is definitely some Kel in her cute l'il face.
ReplyDeleteCongrats momma for reaching six months. SIX!
Thanks man. Six months arrived so fast I almost didn't notice. When we have to go back to work, we're going to wonder what we did the whole year! I think she's looking more like Kel because she's less and less fussy. Edie seems to have Kel's features but my expressions. The exception being when she has a giant smile and her eyes squint to a single line, then she looks like W. (LOL I love you sissy!)
Delete