Sunday, January 9, 2011

Preloved

I love going to second hand stores. It's like going to a museum but you can actually bring some of the goodies home.

A lot of the clothes are no longer in style or in good condition, but it's fun to just see the fabric, embroidery, beading or other details that make up a beautiful piece. My favourite items are the home-made sweaters, especially the kids ones. It makes me smile to see love displayed in a knitted form.

I also love the frames/art section. You can really see the craftsmanship in some of the older frames. The ones that come apart with screws and have brackets across the back. It's sad to find a personalized cross-stitch or hand written note left on these unwanted items. Still, something draws me to read those messages.

Today's find: two scarves. Don't know what I'll do with them but the print was interesting. I bought a shirt last year because of the print and I finally made a card today, inspired by the simple shapes but colourful design. As I write this, I'm waiting for the laundry. Pre-washing the fabrics I bought from the last visit. $3.99 for 5 yards of polka dot happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment